Thursday, December 15, 2011

It’s all about the food

As most of my friends and acquaintances know, I like to eat... I like food! It shows too! So, here I am in the land of Indian spices, aromatic herbs, five day celebrations for everything from a new child, a marriage (which can last up to 10 days I’m told), house warming’s and more and I make a huge discovery!

It’s not so much of a discovery as it is a confirmation that I am a spice wimp! I know, I know, I’m from Texas where TexMex is either hot, hotter or downright head popping! I love a fresh pica de gallo, the onions, the cilantro, tomatoes, even the green chilies! That I can handle…. I don’t do bell peppers, red peppers, jalapeño’s, or chili peppers… ever!

Yet, there is a difference between good old TexMex and Indian food – the real stuff made right here in India! The amount of spices used in almost every Indian dish can be equated to the amount of salt in the Dead Sea! OK, that is a slight exaggeration – but spice wimp can smell the turmeric, coriander, ginger, Aamchur, Garam Masala and other pungent spices from across the street!

However, spice wimp is tasting, learning and actually beginning to enjoy some of the “lighter” Indian dishes. In fact, the other night our chef prepared an incredible dish that I think was called chicken masala. The sauce was absolutely wonderful. The chicken was tender and tasty. But mostly, I loved the sauce over rice. Oh, the rice here is not what we see as rice at home. This rice is longer grained, light, airily fine and ever so delicate.

A week or so ago, there was an ad in the local Indian newspaper (they are all in English BTW) touting a steak dinner that even a Texan would approve of. Well, I took that as a challenge! Donning my jeans, western shirt, gold Texas pendant, my Rodeo earrings and carrying my red and blue purse with the big Texas star on it, I headed for the hotel advertising said steak. Also, you must realize, that beef here in India is almost unheard of – so this was a very special treat-to-be!

The advertisement said it was a wine and steak fest – every steak ordered received a free glass of wine – how could I go wrong? They even were serving baked potato and green beans! Oh my – my heart thrilled at the thought of real Texas food!

When I walked into the dining room, I told the maître de that I had seen his ad, wanted him to know I would be trying his special, and of course I made it very clear that I was from Texas! He sat me down at a lovely table near the window and promptly had wine brought to my table. Yup, it’s beginning to look good here, I thought.

They had five different offerings of steak – very good first impression. I chose the 6 oz. rib eye, medium rare of course with baked potato and green beans. Took my first sip of the “free” wine and, well, let’s just say I asked for the wine list. Now, I am not a true connoisseur – I have many friends who are, including a couple of actual sommeliers who would have spat the first sip on the floor! I found a nice red on the wine list that looked familiar to some I’ve had before – this was a Chilean wine that I knew would be a bit more palatable.

My dinner was delivered to my table in a reasonable amount of time and the presentation was quite nice. My steak was actually cooked to medium rare perfection! I was indeed, surprised and happy. However……………. Yes, there is a “however”… my steak was already sliced for me. Ok, not really a big deal, but come on, who slices my steaks for me? The steak had been generously dipped in the local steak sauce – keep in mind, this is the Indian version of a Texas steak! The baked potato was dry as a bone. I had to request butter. They brought one little square – it was a tiny square. I asked for three more please! I tried to ask for sour cream, but then remembered – it may come as sour milk, so I just had a potato with butter. Actually, the potato also was cooked perfectly. But the green beans – well, folks, from first bite to the last little piece of green on my plate, were simply wonderful! I ate every last bean I could scrape up!

When I finished the meal, the maître de asked me what I thought. He seemed to really want my opinion as a “Texan.” So I told him… first, bring out the butter, grated cheese, sour cream and chives for the baked potato. He said, “Really??? Oh, OK,” nodding his head in a somewhat happy light bulb going on kind of way. Next, said I, the spice wimp yet Texas gourmand (not), never soak your steaks in the local steak sauce before serving them. If we want sauced steaks, we will ask for steak sauce. He actually seemed to appreciate that bit of advice as well.

Then I told him the green beans were fabulous! His face lit up like it was his birthday! I paid my bill, left a generous tip and said, “I’ll be baaaack”!

After eating so much Indian food, I found a McDonald’s at the local mall and if you’ve ever thought you’ve tasted manna from Heaven – my Mickey D’s filet of fish tasted sooooooooo good! The last time I ate at Mickey D’s was more than a year ago…. I don’t eat fast food… but here in India – I LOVE Mickey D’s!! Add to that, that evnr have a KFC… the colonel is alive and well in India and it tastes like fried chicken!

Last night, both head chefs prepared a very special Christmas dinner just for our little ex-pat group. They went over and above every norm they previously had set. It was a five-course meal set pool-side with flowered centerpieces and Christmas carols playing in the back ground. We had shrimp cocktail (a bit different from what we’re used to, but very good nonetheless), the most delicious cream of mushroom soup I’ve ever tasted, a salad, the turkey served with fresh vegetables, potatoes and an Indian version of cranberry sauce, and of course, a wonderful dessert followed by cappuccinos. We ate until we couldn’t move!

Coming next – co-workers, colleagues and its WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment