Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Texas - We've got Competition!!

Well, I made it through my first week up here in the land of Native American Indians and started my second week scraping ice from the windshield of my car. Yes, this Southeast Texas on Galveston Bay gal had to scrape ice off the car windows so she could see to drive. We, rather “I” don’t do ice! I used my hotel key cards for the scraping – worked pretty good too!

Being a Texan (by osmosis, I admit it) we are used to people telling us how friendly we are and of course we always brag about our hospitality. Well, folks, I think I’ve met our match! Now, most all ya’ll know, I am a friendly person – never met a stranger and if I did, they weren’t a stranger for long.

First morning here, went to eat breakfast at the hotel and out pops the lady who takes care of refreshing the catering dishes and making sure everything is ship shape. She walks into the room and in this big voice not only wishes me a good morning but she sings it as well. Come on, it’s 7 AM, my eyes are barely open and this lady is singing “Oh What a Beautiful Morning.”?!

And it doesn’t end there. I walk out into the lobby, people look at you and smile like they’re at a pickin’ and grinnin’ contest! It’s an explosion of hellos, hi there’s and good mornings! And then there’s the traffic… ok, there’s really not much traffic in Bartlesville. It takes me nearly five whole minutes to get to the office parking lot!

Being, that last Monday was my first trek to the office, I was not quite sure where I was going and ended up in the wrong lane on a street where the lanes merge. I slow way down and wait for the car to the right of me to go on…. He stops! Signals me to move over and away we go. This is not what happens in Houston that’s for sure. You make the mistake of getting on one of those roads where the two lanes merge to one and you are tough out of luck until there’s a break in traffic. Not here! The driving courtesy is something to see – people actually let you in, wait for you to exit and in general give you the right of way even if it’s not yours!

And, no one seems to be in a hurry driving. I am used to my Houston style of driving – slightly aggressive to “get the blankety-blank outta my way – you’re goin’ too slow!”

Left lane, right lane, doesn’t matter up here. Folks are just easy going and they know they have only a short distance to travel so why hurry? Road rage has been replaced by Road Respect – everyone respects the other driver.

Went to a pretty nice restaurant for dinner last week – sat in a lovely little booth and waited to be waited on. Now, I admit, I wasn’t in the best of moods, so I was a tad grumpy – not sure why. When the little waiter guy came by to take my order, he was one of those super happy, what are we having today and aren’t we having such a wonderful day people that seem to be in abundance up here. I looked at him with my not-so-friendly face and he just grinned so big! Another competitor for the pickin’ and grinnin’ contest!

He brought my drink – it wasn’t right. The unhappy camper here said, “This isn’t what I ordered /wanted.”

“Really,” says little pickin’ and grinnin’ waiter – no problem. We’ll fix it!”  And, he did. You know, it’s kind of hard to stay in a bad mood (and I tried) when everyone around you is so dang happy! So, I put on my happy face and oh my gosh, the level of kindness went up even higher. And, yeah, he got a good tip!
  
Oh, and politeness – this is way over and above. People actually hold the elevator doors for you even if you’re at the other end of the hallway! They wait and they do it with a smile. Then, they ask you how you’re doing! You can’t get on an elevator without someone saying hi or have a good day as they exit! People are gonna talk to you whether you like it or not so it’s best to get used to this level of friendliness and just jump in with both feet.

They like being friendly and it shows. Yeah, Houston, we’ve got heavy competition in the “friendly” state! These Okies are giving us a real run for our money on the friendliness scale!



No comments:

Post a Comment