Monday, November 28, 2011

The New Chapter

I’ve begun a new chapter in my life – a chapter that if you had told me last year, I would have laughed at the very idea! This is the chapter that tells about a Texas gal heading to the outreaches of the other side of the world – the land of Indians – no, not our American Indians with their beautiful headdresses and teepees in the wilderness – these Indians live in the land of India – half a world away from Texas!

The start of my trip begins with my ride to the airport – it has to start somewhere – what better place to start than from home?

Leaving my pretty little car in the garage, I arrange for a town car to take me to the airport. My driver happens to be Indian.... actually, he was from Bangladesh, which is close. So he's driving like a mad man on the freeways - 80 mph... not that I don't drive ...that fast - but I'm sitting in the back seat hanging on for dear life!! The importance of this will reveal itself soon!

We get to the airport and he drops me off in front of the doors - no problem, except I have two suitcases and my computer case.... not easy to move those things by myself. (Yes I packed everything but the kitchen sink and I did think about packing it too!!) But all is as it should be and going through the international gate is a breeze!

On the flight - Houston direct to Paris, was not too bad.... there was a really cute flight attendant - a young man that I could have taken home and kept for a pet!!! He was precious - but I'm sure his proclivity was toward his own gender. LOL

The lovely attendants put a glass of champagne in my hand way before takeoff, which of course, I am quite prepared to imbibe. I've got first run movies on "my" TV screen, but no popcorn.... dang it!

Dinner soon arrives for those of us in Business/First class (oh yes, striking a pose here LOL), which was absolutely incredible.... sea bass for the entree, sliced duckling for the appetizer, a pre appetizer of baked quail and then for dessert a trio of desserts and raspberry sorbet! How can one refuse such culinary delights? Along with they served an excellent glass of French Merlot.

Decided to try to get some shut- eye and hit the button to lay my seat flat into a bed.... not too bad, but the foot section tilts downward allowing my feet to hang – haven’t quite got the hang of this “bed” chair.

My tray table was having its own issues - it refused to go back into its hole in the side of my seat, and the attendants were unable to repair it as well, so I slept with a tray table over my butt!!! Not the most comfortable night sleeping.

Oh I forgot - they also have little kits with sockies for your feeties - we take our shoes off and wear the sockies provided (Remember – I have grandchildren… so language may be effected). Also provided are eye covers to shut out the light, along with a shoe horn – not sure why I need one, a comb, toothbrush and toothpaste. Of course I have a blanket and a pillow. And, should you ask for something, the attendants are right there with anything and everything you may want – including more wine…. I am SO liking this trip!

my night of slumber would have been bearable even with the tray table over my rear, the tilt of the chair bed and of course my eye cover except for the “bombs”! No, no, not that kind of bomb – the silent kind that attack your nasal sensors – the ones that assault your nose and make you nearly gag. Yes, my restful sleep was assaulted by my seat mates nether regions… it was really, really awful! Just as I would fall into a nice dreamy state – BAM! A bomb would hit… if only I had a plug of some kind!

Finally, just a few hours (maybe two?) later, they wake us serving breakfast. I'm still full from dinner!!! Raspberry crepes with fresh juice, whipped cream, eggs, coffee and more champagne!

A few hours and two movies later and we land in Paris. If you haven’t transferred through Charles de Gaulle airport, you’re in for a strange adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment